Citrix StoreFront Application Subscription Sync Not Working

Citrix StoreFront Application Subscription Sync Not Working

Citrix StoreFront Application Subscription Sync Not Working

This post has already been read 5616 times!

Citrix Subscribed Applications

Citrix Subscribed Applications

I was working on a highly available Citrix StoreFront cluster recently and was having issues with the application subscription syncing.  Whilst this does not effect the performance or usability of the StoreFront Service itself it does effect the user experience greatly as depending on the current load and the server the user hits the applications that they have subscribed to will be different.

Firstly, the set-up here does not use StoreFront Server Groups as I have found these to be a little hit and miss when setting up.  There are 4 StoreFront Servers (2 in the primary site and 2 in the fail over site) both fronted by a NetScaler Load Balancing VIP and set to fail over site to site using NetScaler GSLB.

(If you need more information about setting up GSLB on a NetScaler please see my other post here)

I have set up the application subscription to merge the apps from the local server to the other 3 servers in the cluster using the Add-DSSubscriptionsRemoteSyncStore with a repeating schedule (every 10 minutes).

This should in theory sync the user application subscription database between the servers.  Not so!

On closer inspection the event log had lots of these errors.

Event Log Error

Event Log Error

The fix for the sync was actually quite simple. By setting up the cluster manually the Server Account is not added to the Sync Users group.

Make sure ALL the server accounts on the active directory are in the LOCAL group on the StoreFront Server called:
CitrixSubscriptionsSyncUsers

Once you have the accounts in there the sync should start to work.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Laters,
b@m

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *